Partry House

Partry, MayoAges not specified

Partry House, Partry, Mayo

Families can visit Partry House, which dates from 1667, and see the old castle walls and famine-era features like the Famine Walk and cast iron cooking pots. There are lakeside picnic areas.

Partry House dates from 1667 when it was built on the remains of Cloonlagheen Castle by Arthur Lynch as a dowager house for his mother, Lady Ellis, widow of Sir Roebuck Lynch of Castle Carra.

Evidence of the original castle was discovered during restoration work in 1995 when slit windows opening inwards were found at knee level on the first floor. Old castle walls can be seen incorporated into stable walls.

The one-time islands Moynish, Creegaun and Leamnahaye are linked to the shore by means of the Famine Walk built between the lake and a bog area. This, and the fine limestone shore edging, date from famine times when the Lynchs looked after their tenants providing food and work for them. Two old cast iron pots used to cook cornmeal stand in the garden.

The Lynchs, along with Browns of Westport House and the Moores of Moore Hall, chartered the shop, the 'Martha Washington' to bring corn meal from America for their tenants. There are lakeside picnic areas available.

Family practicalities

  • Pram-friendly (likely)